09 February, 2009

Miss Moey



In my 16 years of education, I have only met one teacher, that had inspired me the most. Her name is Miss Moey Yoke Lai, my principal of less than a year in Methodist Boy's school.

She gives the most inspiring speech ever. Never have I met someone, who spoke with such enthusiasm, every single time. She is the only principal, that I ever bothered to pay attention to during assemblies. Eventhough her speeches are usually really long, eventhough I had to stand for an hour under the morning sun.

Each time she spoke, I always feel energized to stop procrastinating and to start working hard for my STPM. Sadly though, my renewed energy normally lasts for only a fraction of the day, after of which I tend to fall back to my old self.

The things that she chooses to say, I've never heard any other person say this to us. The fire in her eyes and the tone of her voice, tells me she is really dedicated and determined to bring the best out of us.

For instance, I remember her saying: "It is already towards the end of the year. Have you been revising ? If not, buck up ! "

During her short tenure at MBS, she tried her best to do all she could for the school. For years, the project for the Centenary block had been put on hold, but when she became principal, she actually got Genting's Lim Kok Thay to donate, if I'm not mistaken, RM 2 million to the school, and that got the project started.

One of the most surprising thing I've heard about her, is about how she punishes students. One student, she punished him by asking him to come by her office, where she asked him to separate a bowl full of mixed green and red beans. Now, have you ever seen such punishment ? On TV maybe, but never in real life !

I was just reminded about her, when talking to my friends today. And I couldn't help but to feel inspired to be a little more enthusiatic about everything I do, to strive for the best and to do good to society.

***

When she sings the school song with us, she sings it with enthusiasm too.


" Go forward MBS
Filled with courage fine
With your colours flying
We will cheer you all the time
And so you go forward MBS
On to victory
Work for the fame of our fair name
Forward we must play the game
MBS ! MBS !
Play up ! Play up ! Play up ! "

1 footprints:

nAoKi said...

such a suck up.lol.