24 February, 2009

Oscar Material

I've noticed that movies that win Oscars tend to be reality based, perhaps a depiction of a drug addict and sorts. These movies are mostly melancholic, so I never do enjoy them.

As I've had almost two months of holidays, I've put my time to 'good use' by watching 3 of such genre: Rachel Getting Married, The Visitor and Reign Over Me. Of these three, I actually enjoyed 'The Visitor'.

It is an intertwined story of an university professor who has lost his sense to life after the death of his wife and a couple who are illegal immigrants in the New York City. It also tells a tale of ignorance of the rights of illegal immigrants and racial discrimination.

'Rachel Getting Married' was good but I didn't quite enjoy it. Good because Anne Hathaway did a rather good job and the movie really depicts the problems that came with having a sister who is always in and out of the rehabilitation center.

'Reign Over Me' was good according to my sister, but I actually find it rather boring. It tells a story of a man who struggles to help an old college roommate, in dealing with the lost of his family in the September 11 attack. An interesting watch though, to see Adam Sandler in a non-comedy movie.

***

Today I went to watch 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'. I really liked the movie, and would have liked it more if not for my full bladder. Throughout most of the movie I was changing positions to better control my pee, I didn't want to miss any part of it and I also didn't want to disturb anyone by leaving my seat. (I was sitting right in the middle you see) But well, I still had to run to the toilet.

Boy was the movie long. Almost a whole 3 hours. Totally worth my RM 7 student price. Great movie, a must watch.


***

Recently, the hype has been on 'Slumdog Millonaire' or 'Q & A' (book title). In fact, it got an Oscar for Best Picture. Got myself the book. Not gonna watch the movie till I finish the book.

1 footprints:

nAoKi said...

3 hours huh?hmmm...

i din finish racher getting married...i stopped it halfway to do my stuff and forgot to go back to it after i read this...lol