21 May, 2008

Neighbour

Recently I found out about something disturbing.

My maid and mum have been talking about our neighbour, an old couple. Accordingly, the husband has lost the capability to walk and is attended to by his wife. Now, the wife has begun to lose her patience and is constantly beating him. I have not heard or witness anything until today.

Today, I heard the old man whimpering "放过我" in Cantonese. Means 'let me go'. Well, I didn't exactly see him being bound or something, but I couldn't help but wonder, is his wife actually abusing him?

I don't want to be nosy, but what if something bad is really happening and I did nothing. What if the old man is suffering so badly and I'm being ignorant. Yet at the same time, maybe things are not as serious as it seems and if I did something, I might actually bring more trouble than help.

Does this matter require a police report? Maybe I should investigate further before doing anything harsh. But I can't be peeking at my neighbour right? And it's not a very good view from my house either.

My maid told me that the couple lives with their children, but their children are normally around only at night, as they are working. Could they have not realised that such things are happening?

What should I do?