10 December, 2008

On the Phone

These days of MSN, Skype and ICQ (does anyone still use this?), do you still chat on the phone ? Ever since form 3 or form 4, I think I've never called anyone up just to chat. This is partly due to the innovation of MSN and mostly due to my infamous disability.

Today I was chatting on MSN with a friend of mine for an hour or so. No doubt we had lots to talk about, but it would never be the same if it was on the phone. I feel that in a chatroom, you are given that gap to think about what to say next, yet on the phone, that gap would be total silence on both ends. And that's certainly an awkward moment.

Anyway, as we were chatting, my friend was also on the phone with another friend. Now that a whole new definition to multi-tasking. Wow, they could really talk so long. I left the conversation for a loooong bath, but came back with them still on the phone.

Actually I kinda envy those kind of friendship. It's like you can be so comfortable with this person that you could just talk about whatever and not fear about boring the other party.

Anyhow, before I contracted this disability, I had this one friend whom I had a record of being on the phone with her for 6 whole hours ! I seriously don't know how we managed that. It's like we could talked about just anything and I had no qualms about revealing to her almost every single thoughts I had. I could even ask her questions like 'do you think I'm fat ?' Which is such a taboo question, well at least to me lah.