24 July, 2008

Jokers

Saw this in the company's forum.

First author: If I sue myself, will I win? Does such a situation arise?

Feedbacks from various authors:

1.My guess is the lawyer wins the most..

2.I don't know about this but if you kill yourself, you will surely die.

3.Can your soul/spirit die?...your mortal body surely can lah...like changing new car every time a new model comes around...

4.Quote "I don't know about this but if you kill yourself, you will surely die." this takes the prize Kelly!!!! so funny!!!!

5.How do you sue yourself? Please advise!

6.Why you ever want to do that (sue yourself)????

7.Now now now. Look sonny, if you win, who'll lose?

8.The question asked is "Will I win?". Before expounding on this question, I think it is pertinent to first ask the question "Can I sue myself in law?". If the answer is "no", then the question of "Will I win?" becomes not relevant.

9.At common law, there is a principle that a person cannot sue himself or herself. That principle applies to both natural person and artificial person like a corporation. Not very sure what the rationale is but may include the following:

a) it is a waste of court time;
b) you can't enforce judgment on yourself;
c) as someone rightly said, if you win, who lose?

Hence, if the law says that you can't sue yourself, then the question of "Will I win?" does not arise.

Perhaps as a matter of interest, there may be circumstances involving husband and wife where different considerations apply. Why husband and wife? Well, husband and wife are treated as one at common law (I think it is different for islamic laws). So the question is, can the wife sue the husband or vice versa? The answer is generally, "no" but because this principle seems harsh to be applied to all situations, the law had made certain exceptions in respect of, among others, matrimonial cases.

Disclaimer: This is not to be construed as a legal advice and at the point of sharing the position may have been changed.

10. Still not yet explained why this question arose in the first place. i suspect its likely someone in one department of a corporation wants to sue another dept in the same corporation. i have to admit the same thought has occurred to me from time to time.

11. Since you're looking at legal entities I guess you can't actually have a Department A sueing Department B since both are in the same legal entity Company C.

I suppose you could have Individual A suing Individual B but it would be quite a different case...

12.Alternatively Individual A could arrange an MBO of Department A, taking it out of Company C, and hence allowing Company A to sue Company C. This will have the added benefit of being a fee-generating activity hehe. Presuming of course Company A is able to inherit the sueable incident...

13.Guys:
I don't really know what the fuss is all about this suing yourself business... I can think of other more fun things you can do by yourself when you feel bored (no not THOSE things!!) Here are some options for those CIMBians who feel restless but too lazy to get out of the house:

(a) cleaning the grime in between your toes and under your feet with a berus (its very refreshing... try it);
(b) arranging your old magazines so they are in an alphabetical and/or chronological order (really cool!); or MY all-time FAVOURITE
(c) partake in some mindless internet blogging wif friends.

0 footprints: